Monday, January 27, 2014

The Family Baptism



Hey Family,

      This last week was the week of the baptism!  It was all very, very exciting and spiritual.  Let me start from earlier this week.  The north side of Bloemfontein has had problems with water.  Early in December we were without water for five days!  Which is rather astonishing because of the class of the suburbs on the north side.  Two weeks ago we were without water for another three days, so thinking forward we filled the Baptismal Font up on Thursday.

      Saturday was the scheduled day of the baptism because the daughter traveled all the way from Piet Retief so she could be baptized with the family.  We also wanted to confirm everyone on Sunday, so that’s why the baptism was planned for Saturday.  So, Saturday afternoon (2 hours before the baptism), we asked the Carliles to go check the water, and to top it off with warm water.  They urgently called back to tell us the water had all drained through a small leak in the plug, and the water was gone AGAIN!!  I was reminded of Nephi's words, "After all you can do," except this time there was no grace.  So, my companion and I were in the township going to pick up some other missionaries who wanted to come to the baptism.  I was driving down the road thinking about what to do, when the thought of Brother Van Der Leek's pool came to mind.  I pulled over and called the Carliles, and they told us that only moments earlier the Stake President (who was at the chapel) walked in and told the Carliles, "Go to the Van Der Leek's.”   So, under the direction of the spirit, we made last minute arrangements for the baptism to be done in the pool.


      We held the service in the chapel, then caravanned to the Van Der Leek's.  I was appointed to baptize the family.  It wasn’t my choice, but after asking them and asking the bishop, it was asked of me to do it.  They have had a lot of interaction with the Relief Society but not so much with the

brothers in the church yet.  After the baptisms, we were gathered around in the back yard as the sun drew nigh.  With about thirty ward members present, missionaries, and investigators, we all sang the hymn "The Spirit of God.”  It was nothing short of the most appropriate hymn, and I felt and imagined angels around.  I believe they were there.



     What was probably the most powerful and moving experience of the whole baptism were the testimonies borne by the family.  Mama M was the first to start.  She talked about the great light that had come into her life.  How she was introduced to the truth through the restored gospel.  She said some very heartening things: that she knows that what just took place (the baptism) is only the beginning.  That she has her whole life ahead of her to live in the gospel.  She shared how she now has the tools she will need (Knowledge, Faith, Covenants, The Holy Ghost) to endure to the end.

      Tara, the daughter, (names changed for anonymity) next bore her testimony and in part said, "I now know what is needed for salvation.  I am so grateful to my Father in Heaven that He has given me the gospel and Church of Jesus Christ by which I know if I live faithfully and worthily, I will return to the presence of my Father."

      Jarom then bore his testimony, then 13-year-old Matthew.  Matthew started to cry in the middle of it, and looking around, nearly everyone was in tears.  He talked about the great peace and happiness in his life, and the direction he sees now.  They all

expressed pure gratitude towards our heavenly father for the notable miracle, which had happened in their lives.


      The next day, Sunday, the whole family was welcomed and confirmed members in sacrament



meeting.  I have been very surprised and happy with the support and welcoming from the ward.

 The confirmations were beautiful, and based on their countenance and expression they truly did received the Holy Ghost. Then, just to add to the pace and grandness of everything, Matthew and Jarom were confirmed the priesthood during the second hour.  As a side note, these two young men understand with great understanding the priesthood and their duties.

      It was all a tremendous experience, especially for the family. I haven’t seen converts more converted than them.

      So, that was the highlight of my week.  I’m looking forward to the next two and a half weeks I have in Bloemfontein.  I promise I will go out with my shoulder to the wheel.

I love you,

Elder Gold

1 comment:

  1. Dear Elder Gold,

    Wow!! It is almost 2 years since you left to S. Africa. The time goes by so quickly and I am so lucky to be able to read your correspondence occasionally. Today, I caught up from the Christmas time message to the current message. I was shocked to see your hand's surgery and the way the doctor pulled out the wire from your hand without any special medicine.
    I am happy to read that you had a wonderful family baptism in the pool instead of the church building. The most impressing story I read from your message was the pastor who started his own church in several locations gave up his ministry and converted to LDS. I wonder about this brother and his family, etc. some time. Do you hear anything more about him or his family? What a sacrifice and devotion he and his family did with conviction like pioneers in the US crossing the country from Missouri or back East to Salt Lake.

    I am looking forward to listening to your talk when you come back. If I can, I will try to visit your ward when you plan to give the talk in the Sacrament meeting.
    I hope that your hand is fully functional now. Good luck for the short time left in S. Africa..

    Hiro

    ReplyDelete