Monday, January 20, 2014

Learning of One's Potential Through Compassion


Hey Yah Family,
      I’m sure you can probably imagine how I’m doing... GREAT!  This week has been very busy; some trivial things, some important things.  I took Elder Stengile to the bus on Monday night.  It was sad for me.  I love him a lot and really enjoyed our time together.  We did great things, and we both grew a lot.  I was thinking about it last night, about our time we had together.  The first transfer we spent together was mediocre.  He was a little quieter than I wanted and I was a little more free spirited than he was comfortable with.  From my side, I found it hard to accept him as he was for something good.  We struggled to teach in unity and at a unified pace.  Eventually the first transfer came to an end.  We both thought and silently hoped he would go.  The chances of him leaving were very high since he is just one transfer younger than I.  When we found he was staying another transfer, there was a little disappointment.  He surprised me the next week when during companionship study he brought up a list of things he didn't like, and expected a list in return.  We talked, and listened, and compromised and set out to be more unified.  For the next week we were both very open with our success in trying to improve ourselves, as well as being open with the times we failed.  Things began to get better, and then a huge blessing came straight from heaven... I broke my thumb!  Yep, it was a blessing with a purpose.  After returning home from the surgery, I was left with little ability to perform simple tasks.  Since I had only one operating hand, Elder Stengile had to help me get dressed, iron my clothes, fold them, cut and prepare and cook my food, drive, and even write.  His capacity to open up and love grew, and my humility and meekness expanded.  I also began to recognize his attributes as strengths, not weaknesses.  Thus, we became so, so, so close.  Every day was a great day, and no matter what happened, we leaned on one another.  The day after he left, the pins were removed from my hand, and thus was the purpose of my hand fulfilled, and Heavenly Father's will done.
      I’m with another Great Elder, Elder Kinyaka from Kenya.  I've known him for some time now.  We are going to work really great together.  The Wednesday I got my pins taken out, we drove to Bethlehem, and then on Thursday morning we headed to Ladysmith for our Leadership training meeting with the mission president.  After the meeting, we were tasked to take two elders to their new areas.  One was going to Phuthaditjhaba, the other to our zone.  Yep!  I went back to my first area!  We spent about three hours visiting a few families.  You remember Ntate Koma?  He was the one who Elder Dutson and I miraculously found, who wanted a "Mormon Bible.”  He was baptized long after I left the area. But Thursday, I got to see him.  It was a joyous reunion.  I could tell his happiness as the tears came from his eyes and he hugged me. Why do missions have to end?  We also saw Mme Monatisa, who was also baptized after I left.  It was fantastic!
      We are still busy preparing for Mama M's and her families baptism that will be taking place this Saturday.  Things are going amazing for them.  The Ward has welcomed them in a way I have never seen on my mission.  They will not fall out the back door.  There is no back door.
      Let me also tell you a very touching story from church on Sunday.  The sacrament was being passed and I was pondering on how it is that the sacrament changes us and sanctifies us.  I looked up to see three people passing the sacrament.  There were two teachers (14-16 Year-old young men), and one older man named Israel (changed name for anonymity).  Israel was wearing an off white shirt with an old tie.  He had on Green slacks.  His mustache covered his entire upper lip.  He had aged and worn skin and his one cataract eye wandered around.  Let me tell you what I know about him.
      Two months ago I was introduced to him as he was a less active member of the ward.  He is in his 50's, white Afrikaans, lives alone, and has been out of the church for years.  He works a low paying job.  Home teachers in the ward were assigned to him, and one Brother Katali (pronounced Ka-ta-di) really took him under his wing.  He would pick him up every Sunday to bring him to church.  I remember at our ward Christmas party back in November (when he just started coming back) he was loud and smelled like alcohol.  A brother in the stake came to me and whispered, "Can you believe this guy? Why is he here?"  A little shocked at his comment, I said to him, "Well, he is here, and I wouldn't have him be anywhere else.”  I grabbed Israel by the arm, and with the brother from the stake still next to me told Israel how happy we were to have him there.
      He continued to come to church.  He moved from wearing T-shirts and jeans to slacks and off white shirts.  He began participating more and more in quorum classes and even took the calling to be a home teacher with Brother Katali.
      I watched him pass the sacrament on Sunday.  I watched him walk in his own quick way as he took the sacrament to the bishop.  I watched him stand in the aisle as he waited reverently for the bread and water trays to come to him.  I watched joy emanate from him as a big smile spanned his face that only comes when one is in the service of Heavenly Father.  I have been very touched by his journey back into the church, and especially by the care, love and patience from Brother Katali.  I think we can all strive to be like him and identify and love some individual that has strayed, showing them their potential and the way back.
      I pray these last four weeks crawl by, that I may savor every moment of it.  This is the Lord's work.

Elder Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment