Monday, January 6, 2014

A Nice Little Story For You



Hello Mom, Dad, and Jordan,

      The New Year is upon us.  I remember years back when we were celebrating the New Year (I don’t know when or where) but I had a thought in my little brain.

"They say it’s a new year now that January 1st is here.  But all that means is that we went around
the sun once from where we were last year.  Today is also a New Year because we have gone around the sun again, just on a different step."

      I pondered on that thought Tuesday night as we were lying on our mattresses on the flat
roof of our garage, looking up at the stars. I was brought to better understanding as I read Elder Soares' talk from this last conference where he quoted president Snow.  President Lorenzo Snow, the fifth prophet of our dispensation, taught, “It is our duty to try to be perfect, … to improve each day, and look upon our course last week and do things better this week; do things better today than we did them yesterday.”11 So the first step to becoming meek is to improve day by day.  Each day we need to try to be better than the previous as we move forward through this process.  President Snow added: “We have our little follies and our weaknesses; we should try to overcome them as fast as possible, and … should [instill] this feeling in the hearts of our children … that they may learn to [behave] properly before Him under all circumstances.  If the husband can live with his wife one day without quarreling or without treating anyone unkindly or without grieving the Spirit of God … he is so far perfect.  Then let him try to be the same the next day.  But supposing he should fail in this his next day’s attempt, that is no reason why he should not succeed in doing so the third day.”

      So, that was something that struck me.  Anyways, I have a nice little story for you.  Last Monday when I got on the computer to email, I didn’t get moms email.  I figured I would just read it next week.  During the middle of the week, we had three forms we needed to fax to the office.  We faxed them on Tuesday night, but on Wednesday the office said they had not received them.  On Thursday we tried again but had no luck, so Friday we decided to go to the Cluster’s home (another Senior Couple in Bloemfontein; we have Two sets of Senior Couples) where we attempted to fax them again.  The fax number didn’t go through so we had to scan them and send them through my email.  I noticed when I logged on that your email was there so I printed it off and read it in the car as we drove to our next appointment.  It was a very well put and moving story.  We arrived at our appointment.  We were going to see Virginia (name changed for anonymity purposes).  I had the thought to bring the letter so I did.  She has not been moving forward as much as she ought.  She has slowed down and is being a little resistant to Heavenly Father.  As we talked to her, I felt to read her the letter.  It was moving, and she was touched.  I think it was a heavenly sequence of events that led to me having the letter at that time to share with her.
      The M------ family is also doing outstanding.  We fasted with them this last Sunday for their father.  Ma asked us for a blessing of strength and in the blessing the promise was given that her righteous desires and actions will be a standard to her family to which they will rise.  Her daughter and the two sons are EEEAAGEERR to be baptized on the twenty-sixth of this month.  Heavenly Father and we want the father to be baptized with them, so we will see if that is possible.  I know I haven’t mentioned much about him, and that’s because we haven’t sat with him in two weeks.  Hopefully that will change this week.
      As for me, I’m SO HAPPY!!  I couldn’t be more happy.  Especially that I get to be with Elder
Stengile one more week.  Transfers were supposed to happen tomorrow, but were pushed back
one week due to some logistical errors.  This morning four of us went to the military base (Tempe)
and toured the armor museum.  Elder Johnson and I ran the six-miles there this morning in just around 48 minutes.  We were able to go in some of these tanks dating back to WW1.  We also were able to go into one of the top tanks in the South African Defense Force Armory, the Roi Kat (Red Cat in Afrikaans).  It was sick!

      So, as for my hand, YES, I am counting down the days!  “Get these wires out of me!”  Among that, on Saturday I strained my left shoulder while doing pull ups, so I’ll be recouping that.  But, your right mum, I won’t let it slow me down.

I love you guys dearly.  See ya latter.\\

Elder Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment