Monday, February 11, 2013

To Stand in Confidence, Without Fear





Hello My Family!


I have two experiences I wish to share today.  Early Sunday morning around 3:00 am my dreams faded into reality.  I heard loud booms followed by our house shaking.  At first I thought our neighbors were making the noise, but as I became more awake I realized it was thunder.  It had started while I was dreaming and became intertwined with my dream.  The thunder was very distant at first, but as I woke it became louder as it drew near.  I started seeing the curtains light up, and to my surprise, the clash of thunder was coming every 5 seconds, then 4 seconds, then every 2 to 3 seconds.  I was still pretty tired and so I fell back asleep, until the morning rolled around.  Then I was awoken by the same noises, only this time they had intensified.


It was about 6:30 AM by this time, and the storm felt as if it was right over us.  I guess you would call it an electrical storm.  I watched, listened and felt it as the lightning roared and raced across the sky, over the houses, onto the houses and onto the streets.  It was unreal!  As the house and windows shook, it sounded like a battlefield.  Lightning does something very unique here: It will start far on the distant horizon and in the space of a few seconds it spans and sprawls across the sky like a tree shooting forth its branches.  The light was spectacular, and for a moment I wondered if this would be an appropriate introduction for the glorious coming of Christ for the second time... maybe.  It settled after some time and life resumed back to normal, but I was mesmerized by the experience.  To me it represented several things, one being the glory of our Savior.  In the time that I stood, watched, listened and felt the experience, I was amazed.  I was happy and I felt so much joy.  At the same time, I knew of others who feared and were frightened by the display.  I know that in the coming of our Savior it will be a Great Day (for those who are prepared), and a terrible day (for those who are not).  Though I feel I have a mountainous load to work through before He comes again, I feel a sense of assurance because I’ve accepted those things needed for my preparation; the gospel, the scriptures, the atonement … Oh, the list is endless.  I use the word "accept" because I have come to realize lately that the Gospel is given to most everyone.  The Savior atoned for every one of us.  However, it is our duty to accept, open and partake of that gift.  I know that’s why I’m here, to help people to come to an understanding and acceptance of this gift, a gift that they may not realize is in front of them for the taking.  Through this process they too may stand in confidence, without fear, knowing that they are prepared.


The second experience I had this week was a very sweet one.  In my first area we worked very hard yet saw little to no visible results.  This past week I had heard, through the grape vine, that there was a lady who had been baptized in that area.  When I inquired who the person was I found out it was Mme Monatisa!  You might remember a picture I had sent long ago of myself and this elderly woman reading from the Book of Mormon as I pointed to the section we were reading.  That was her.  The joy I feel in knowing she was baptized couldn’t be sweeter, even if I were able to be there myself to see her baptism.  I don’t really know how to describe how I feel, but this scripture from the 18th section of the Doctrine and Covenants might do it:
"And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him (or her) in the kingdom of my Father!" 



A few weeks earlier I also heard the same report of a man about 70-years-old whom Elder Dutson and I had miraculously found in Phuthaditjhaba.  He was really prepared and was led to us.  He too entered into a covenant with God and entered the waters of baptism.


This is a TRUE work, and I have a testimony of it.  I thank you for supporting me at this time of my life that I am able to be about "my Father’s business".  I love you my family,


Elder Gold


No comments:

Post a Comment