Monday, February 18, 2013

Measuring Up!




Dad,

      I took your advice; I bought my companion (not shown in the above photo) and me an ice cream to celebrate the one-year mark of being on my mission.  He didn’t want one so, I gave the other ice cream to a recent convert named Temba.  Then I went back to work.  I have a lot of goals for this next year because there are a lot of things I need to change.  I think the main things that affected me this week were my reevaluations and recommitments.  But, let me also tell you a few stories:

      On Saturday we took a man teaching with us.  His name is Marcus (for anonymity sake the name has been changed).  Marcus is in his mid-twenties, and is very kind.  As we were talking he told us of his new found plans to marry before the end of the year.  To our surprise he told us he is dating a young lady who is a member of the church, and of his plans to become engaged to her.  On further questioning, he informed us that we were the first and only people he has told.  He didn’t even say to "don’t tell anyone."  Instead, his response touched me a whole lot.  I asked why he chose to tell us before anyone else knew, and he simply said, "Because you’re Elders, I can trust you."  It hit me hard of just how much he trusted us.  I started contemplating how this experience relates to my Heavenly Father.  Can he trust me that much?  I think about what he might trust me with: investigators, companions, areas, spiritual wisdom and revelation, the Holy Ghost... I want Him to trust me so much that He can openly give me revelation and the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  That is what I am working for, that I can, and will, better serve his children.

I guess I only had one story :p

      My testimony is simple.  God lives.  This is His work.  It is true and I know that.  I’m so glad to be a part of this true and everlasting work.

I love you all,

Elder Gold


No comments:

Post a Comment