Monday, December 31, 2012

Stepping Forward...Reaching Out


  
Dadio

      I enjoyed most the opportunity to see you and talk with you. Really it’s indescribable, but I think you feel the same, so I guess we are on the same page.

       I liked what you said about Mom. She is amazing. Good thing we have her or we ought just to move back to the planet with the apes. (Editor’s note: see comment at the bottom of this letter for details of Dad’s letter about Mom)

      But as you told me of Mom, I remembered something that happened just 10 minutes before I got on the computer. I in no way say this to brag, but I’m sure you will like it.

      We were walking through the mall. I spotted an elderly Zulu lady in a wheelchair pulling out of a store. She had a fresh bandage wrapped on her freshly amputated leg. Very tough. Her back was towards me and I just walked up, grabbed her chair and started pushing without missing a footstep. I looked down and smiled and she looked up with a look of surprise then joy. I don’t know what brought her more joy, the fact that a young white boy was pushing her, or that he was a missionary. We walked about 5 minutes until we reached her destination. She told us her husband was a member of the Church, and seemed to be very proud. She actually lives in our ward boundaries, so the President Assistants, who work the other half, will go visit her. It’s nice the opportunities the Lord places before us, that allow us to serve our brothers and sisters.

      I love you Dad. Thank you for raising me to be who I am today, and to follow your example.

SonShine


Editor’s Note:

      Landon’s story about the Zulu Lady in the wheelchair was prompted by his dad’s weekly letter which talked about a few experiences that Dad observed about his mom.  Dad’s letter is included here to give continuity to Landon’s comments.  Being the editor, and the mom that some of this writing refers to, I reluctantly allow this week's post but simply do so because inspiration tells me to do so.  Otherwise, pride would stop me in my tracks.  I've also included a video at the end of the email that would have been placed at the beginning; if only I could have figured out how to have the above clip be its starting photo.  Still learning the tricks of the trade.  The video below was also brought to mind through inspiration so I would encourage all to watch it.  It emphasizes the Lord's council to us ..... "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me." (Matthew 25:40)  Therefore, as we step into a New Year and a world of uncertainty my hope is that we may all gain courage to reach out.  

       "All change begins with a single step.  Whether it be a step forward or one step back...it is up to you. 
 But, by reaching out you are certain to be moved in the right direction."


Dear SonShine,

      It was just tremendous to see you on Christmas day – the best gift I ever had. I could not be more proud or pleased with you.  Thank you for the joy you have brought into my life.

      I have a couple stories for you that you probably haven’t heard. Both happened fairly recently.

 Story 1) 
 A few months ago Mom and I went to the movie – I can’t remember which one.  But as we were leaving, we both noticed a girl with a backpack, sitting slumped over (as if in deep despair) on the concrete in front of the Foothill Ranch theaters.  It was about 10:30 at night.  We stopped and watched her from about 50 feet away. She didn’t seem to have anywhere to go and didn’t seem to be waiting for anyone.  She was dressed very ‘Goth,’ with black clothes and stark makeup (kind of scary looking).  After a few moments, Mom walked over to her as I waited from afar.  When she arrived at the girl’s side, she knelt down and began talking to her.  A few minutes passed and I could tell that the girl was crying.  Mom gave her several hugs as they were talking and I could tell that she also dried her own eyes a few times. Ten or 15 minutes elapsed and then Mom reached in her wallet and pulled out $20 to give to her.  When she came back to me, her eyes were full of tears as she told me this poor girl’s story – early 20s, has a young child who she is not allowed to see because of her drug use, currently homeless and living on the street.  Mom considered inviting her to our home to stay the night but decided against it since there were too many unknowns, if she would become violent or if other problems might arise.  The point is that Mom had compassion and made an effort to get involved and help another one of God’s children who needed help.  An added note to this story is:  When we came across this young girl she had just lost it.  She told your mom that moments earlier an elderly couple walked by her and as they passed the women glared at her with a very condescending look of disgust.  This girl explained that at that moment the weight of her world came crashing down on her.  “Couldn’t they see me?  I mean really see that I am homeless and hurting?  Why do people hate so much?”  And then she just sobbed uncontrollably.

Story 2) 
Last night Mom called from the Spectrum to see if I wanted to go to the movie – (there is a new version of Les Miserables with Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman and Ann Hathaway). I said sure and then her attention was diverted to an incident that was unfolding about 8 feet in front of her.  She described what was happening – a young mother was furious with her 4-year-old child, yelling at him, wailing on him, physically and forcibly restraining him and threatening to turn him into the security guards.  This scenario started with the loud and startling pop of balloons as this out of controlled mother stomped on the child’s balloon animal until it was no longer an inflated treasure.  Mom was afraid this young mother was going to become more physically abusive with her child so she cautiously stood back and watched them both trying to figure out when the best time to step in would be.  There were also a few others standing off in a distance not really knowing what to do.  Mom said she had to hang up so that she could focus on the situation so I drove to the Spectrum and she filled me in on what happened after I arrived.  Other people who were there had turned their back and walked away.  However, your mother approached the young mother, picked up the sobbing boy, held him and consoled the mother and child.  She spoke in a gentle voice as she empathized with the young mom, telling her that there were days when she was raising her 2 boys (you and Jordan), around that same age, that she came to her wit’s end.  Mom shared her feelings and told the other lady about a book (The Power of Positive Parenting by: Glenn L. Lathan) that had impacted her life at the time, putting her on a different path.  She emphasized how important it was at that time as a young mom for her to find a better way, and it changed the future for her entire family.  She then offered to help this troubled mom take the same steps.  Your mom gave her phone number and offered to get her help when and if she wanted it. 

      You are very fortunate to have such a wonderful, caring, loving mother who emulates Paul’s sermon on Charity – the pure love of Christ.  I could sense that you have inherited that quality from her.  I was so pleased that you sang Christmas Carols in the apartments just days after you were transferred to a new area that close to Christmas.  Other missionaries might have felt sorry for themselves that they received a transfer so close to Christmas and might have magnified their home-sickness. Instead, you focused on others and magnified your calling as a representative of Christ.

      So we saw Les Miz yesterday. Are you familiar with the book or the Broadway production?  It has the most beautiful song – “Bring Him Home” – it is sung by a man, a plea to God to keep another young man safe from harm.  It’s much like the prayers I offer for you on a daily basis.  It is a magnificent movie. One of the songs near the movie’s end has these lyrics: “To love another person is to see the face of God.” And really – isn’t that what it’s all about.

Stay safe my son.

Love,
    -Dadio

For further inspiration on charity, watch the video titled 'The Coat: A Story of Charity' at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/video/2011-12-001-the-coat


No comments:

Post a Comment