Monday, December 10, 2012

All Things Are Possible!


Hi Yah Momma!

      Well I had a lot to tell you, but it all went to dad’s inbox.  But I want to thank you SOOOOOO much for the packages :)  I got them on Wednesday and so did Elder Zingoni.  Now, I opened the ones with the pants and ties and books (I guess for my birthday).  I already got the pants hemmed by one of the senior sister missionaries.  They fit great!!  But the other Box, the Christmas one, I’m trying to hold out till Christmas :). 

       So, Elder Zingoni got his and it was a huge success.  He hasn’t gotten anything from home, friends or family.  When he got the package from you I could see he was a little skeptical but that quickly faded.  He loves all the great things in there.  The DVD's were a great choice because his favorite thing to do is watch church videos while we are home.  He is always watching and re watching some that I gave to him, and now he has more.  Also, the oil vial was right on target as he lost his.  There are many other things, which he just loves.  I was so happy to see him happy.  Thank you momma :)

      I’ll explain the few pictures I sent you.  After the heavy rains the fish were coming out of the streams and lakes.  I bought a small catfish and ate it.  They were selling HUGE fish that I didn’t get.  I wish I could have caught it myself, but at least I got to eat it :)

      Well, it’s crazy to think I’ll be 20 in 4 days!!!!  Where has the time gone?  Don’t worry though; I will always be your baby.

      I am loving this service.  There is nowhere I would rather be.  I’m doing my very best in all ways mom.

I love you more than CHOCOLATE (and everything else)!

Your son,

Elder Gold


Editor’s Note:

      Below I have included a portion of Landon’s letter to his Dadio.  It gave me greater insight as to who Landon has become and the journey to get there.


      Since I have been training Elder Zingoni I have abandoned almost all deep doctrinal studies and have left all other books except the scriptures and Preach My Gospel (I did this before you told me about Brother Jacobson’s mission president’s advice to his missionaries to send all literature/books home that could distract from the simple yet in depth study of the scriptures :p).  I have found more testimony and power and scriptural support and just plain sense and understanding of the gospel of Christ from studying the most basic doctrines and principles than I have studying the deepest doctrines that even I’m surprised I got into.

      I've also been learning through trial and error really how to address people’s concerns.  I've found that often the concern doesn’t need a head-on approach, or a mirrored line of defense, but rather thoughtful and prayerful answers, which often flank the original question, or bring light to the real problem area instead.

      Regardless, you’re awesome. I hope it all goes well. I had a most exciting week. As you and mom and probably others know, I’ve been struggling and facing mountainous trials it seems.  Well, without unneeded detail, my companion has stretched me more than I thought possible.  I can say that I was just trying to get through the remaining time together.  I'd given to much prayer and fasting and charity and unconditional love and patients, and almost every attribute I could find in the scriptures, only to have things get worse and worse.  I felt like Christ, being rejected and rebuked for offering unconditional love and charity to people.  Well let me share with you and the family what I sent to President Von Stetten today:


"Dear President,

The best way that I can describe this week is by sharing you part of my journal.

      "December 6, 2012. Today was the best day I have had with my companion thus far.  I believe in miracles.  I believe in prayer and fasting.  I know people can change.  In our studies he was a full participant.  During lunch he offered to make me lunch.  On our way to the area we talked and laughed for the first time.  In the area we taught with unity and power.  He testified of everything that I said, which was the second time that has ever happened.  On the way home we talked and laughed together.  During nightly planning he astonished me and participated, giving thoughtful, wholesome suggestions and comments.  For the very first time the both of us discussed the needs of investigators and came to conclusions by the spirit.  It was an outstanding day. I am the most happy I have been on my mission thus far... I have loved my companion from day one. But today, that love grew evermore."

      President, I have given most thanks to God for the remarkable turn around in [my companion].  He has continued in this new attitude and new person since that day.  I wish to thank you for your prayers and fasts.  I have thanked my Heavenly Father immensely so far, and wish to thank you as well for sending me to this area and sending [my companion] to me.  All the pain and heartache and praying and fasting and trials and tribulation were worth it, and I would endure them all again to preserve the change that has been had."

.......

      SO, that’s how it is. The past has been swallowed up in the hopes of glory.  I am just beyond happy.  I love my mission.  I loved it even during the trials.  What have I learned?  Well, aside from all the Christ like attributes and the refiner’s fire that molded me and shaped me, I have a testimony that people can change.  Quite honestly, I thought my companion never would, but the Lord showed me that all things are possible.

      Anyways, This letter to you Dad kind of turned into the whole family’s letter so share it with Mom.  Tell her that Ron can change.  You guys honestly have no Idea how little hope I had for change, but here it is to be had.  I now can see my companion’s true colours.

      I love you Dad, and I love the whole family.  I guess we will be talking soon over the phone.  Honestly I forgot, and keep forgetting until mom reminds me in her emails.

-SonShine

No comments:

Post a Comment