Monday, January 21, 2013

Feel Like I'm at Home, Except all the Houses are Fortresses




Hello Everyone,

      I’ve not heard anything about having my mission cut short yet (Editors Note: This was in response to Landon finding out one of his friends in another mission will be coming home one transfer early to make room for the influx of new missionaries.  This will shorten the friend’s two-year mission by approximately six weeks.)  I doubt that will happen here because we NEED a lot more missionaries in this mission.  It is going to help us a lot, especially in opening old and new areas.  Many areas have been closed because of how scattered we are.  Even though we are one of the smallest and concentrated missions in Africa, we still need a lot more missionaries.
      AMEN to everything you said mom, especially that the work is hastening. We are to be getting an additional amount of missionaries in the next few months (I’m not sure the numbers but it could be over 20).  That’s a huge impact.  I’ll say again, “We need a lot more missionaries in the Durban Mission.”  Speaking of which, I know you know that the work is different in my current area than what I am used to.  It’s been tough.  I feel like I’m at home, except all the houses are fortresses.  Yeah, the gates are probably put up by Satan to keep us out (just a bit of sarcasm for you all).  We really have to get creative with our finding.  We are going to start implementing some new ideas in the coming weeks that will hopefully help us find a few more investigators.  Even though it’s hard, I do my best to keep my head up.  I can honestly say that I feel pure joy and happiness even when we have a hard time.  Kind of reminds me of the angel’s words to Alma when he was cast out of Ammoniha:
“Blessed art thou, Alma; therefore, lift up thy head and rejoice, for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments of God from the time which thou receivedst thy first message from him. Behold, I am he that delivered it unto you. And behold, I am sent to command thee that thou return to the city of Ammonihah, and preach again unto the people of the city; yea, preach unto them...”               
                                                              Book of Mormon Reference:  Alma 8:15-16 
      So we do, we keep moving.  A funny thing is that I never would have thought to get a single door slammed in Africa.  I was wrong :p  However, the church ward is powerful.  We have incredibly amazing individuals here.  Some have been members of the church for 60+ years.  You are going to love to meet them when we come back.  I want to find a video camera of some sort that I might record many of their conversion stories because they are powerful and precious.  I feel a sense of awareness to retain as much of my own history as I can, but that will all come after the main reason I’m out here.  My soul purpose why I am here is to invite others to come unto Christ; so, my work here is better than anything I have or could be doing.  I love this mission, the gospel, my God, my Savior, and you. 
Elder Gold 

No comments:

Post a Comment