Monday, October 1, 2012

Walking in the Light


Hey Family,
      Man almighty!  The photos you took of Zion National Park were sick, especially the one of Jordan in the darkened slot canyon walking in the light.  You guys all look great!  :p  And what a spiritual experience with the Jimmy (see editor’s note below).  God works so mysteriously, but I’m proud of you guys for making such a selfless decision.
      Well, last night we dropped off Elder Fokuo in Bloem.  It was a late night because the bus was so late.  We didn’t get home till 2 o’clock.  I’m just waiting in anticipation for my new companion.  I can pronounce his name, and I still don’t know where he is from.  He will fly into Bloem tomorrow with the other missionaries companion.


      Well, the work is still moving, and so am I.  There hasn’t been anything spectacular this week that I can remember, other than Elder Fokuo saying his goodbyes.  Just seeing the distress in his face yesterday as we were in the area, and getting a sense for what he is feeling, I’m glad I’m not him in the sense that I still have time on my mission.  I guess you could say the end of the two years is a great and terrible day :p


      I love you guys.  I pray for you.  Keep praying for us, all of us, we need it.  The adversary is working VERY hard on the missionaries.


Stay lekkar Ma, Bru's.

Elder Gold
Editor’s Note:

      Just before opening Landon's letter this week I made a statement to Steve that, "I sure hope he has sent photos because we haven't anymore to go with this weeks post."  None were attached, but the irony of his first statement referencing photo's that we had taken in Zion National Park gave way for the image of his brother titled 'Walking in the Light' to be used instead.

       When traveling home from this canyoneering adventure in Zion National Park our vehicle broke down.  We were in the dark literally as well as figuratively, not knowing what to do.  The story in detail is meant for another day but there is one aspect of this journey that I do want to share.  Troubled by a predicament of possibly being stranded on the side of a freeway close to 50 miles from Las Vegas we said a prayer pleading with Heavenly Father to bring us safely there. . . which He did.  However, once there we needed real answers to the problem of what to do with an old vehicle that was too good to scrap yet too expensive to fix.  Each solution we thought of would come with its own roadblocks, stalemating us in the end.  It wasn't until we stopped looking at what we could do and asked what He would have us do that the answer came clearly directed from above.  With twenty hours of blindly trying to find the right way we were finally brought into the light.  There was a family who, under the watchful eye of a loving bishop, was made known to us.  This family with four children, a mother with cancer and a father out of work had no vehicle.  The father had worked for twenty years as a mechanic and has the skills needed to bring this vehicle back into operation.  When he had stated that, "This is an answer to our prayers" I could sense how very important it was to the family.  I can only imagine how difficult it would be to pursue employment without means of transportation.  I was very humbled to see the appreciation this family had in receiving a broken down Jimmy.

      You know, as I reflect on the events that brought us to the end result I can't help but to see the process we took to finally get to where we needed to be.  So often we are surrounded by darkness as life's challenges appear to encroach upon the peace and safety of our world.  I have found, time and time again, that the path best taken does not always come with clear illumination.  By relying solely on our natural senses and tunnel visioned view an illuminated path can often be hard to find.  Selfishness, pride and fear tend to cloud and possibly blind us from seeing just where we are to go.  So much time was spent seeking out our own will, when quite simply we should have looked up to the source from which our light comes and asked simply, "What is your will?"  Once spoken, a pathway was illuminated, and finally we were able to walk in the light.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment