Monday, April 30, 2012

Not Starving



HI Family!

        Ok, so I have been neglecting you guys by not giving you enough detail of my life here in Africa.  To start, Elder Ncube and I got the Easter package last week, :) which we were very excited and happy to have.  We love all the fun things in there, the kites, the frogs, the long letter from you mom, the recipes :) thank you guys for thinking of us.  It brightened this week for sure.

        Well, I’m not starving.  We are given 745 rand every 15 days (about 100 dollars) to spend on necessities.  I don’t really buy other things so I get to buy good food for myself.  I eat a lot of tomatoes and onions, carrots, pumpkin, eggs, wors (german sausage things) potato’s, and pap.  Pap is just white corn meal.  We call it maize meal.  You cook it up with water and keep adding more of the dried maize meal until it fluffs up and steams itself.  It looks like mash potatoes but tastes nothing like it.  You eat it with other things like meat and veggies in whatever sauces you make, and you HAVE to eat it with your hands, no exceptions!  Also, occasionally I buy some candy.  You know, because its from you guys :p   We don’t really get fed here.  At least Elder Ncube and I don’t.  The other guys get fed heaps though!@  They will come home and complain they had 3 dinners back to back.  I’d rather starve than feel the way they look though, so its all good :)

        We walk everywhere in our area.  My shoes are getting trashed.  It’s pretty funny.  There are chickens and dogs everywhere!!!  I always chase them and what what.  Also, there is a fair amount of cattle that roam the roads.  It’s funny to see traffic stopped because cattle think there is grass on the roads.  It’s beautiful, especially at night.  The stars are so bright, and like Ed said, “The skies are different.”

        Ok, so to be honest, our boarding is a trashy place:) It doesn’t stay clean.  I think there is a curse on it.  Like I said, “we have many guests in our house.”  They like to eat in our kitchen but they don’t clean up their mess.  So, we are always sweeping poop off the counters and out of the cupboards, and squishing all the maggots from the flies and what what. 

        There are tons of wild pigeons and doves everywhere.  Elder Ncube and I talk often about eating them.  It’s probably gonna happen soon.

        I kick everything while we walk.  It’s really fun.  We have only six or seven members in our area, and half are hard to get to church.  This last week, though, we began turning our efforts to the members.  And to our delight we had 67 people at church!! (included: our 11 investigators, us, branch presidency, and leaders from the district :p).

        So, next Saturday we will be traveling to Bleaumfontein for zone conference.  Bleaumfontein is a township about 5 hours east from where we live.  I’m so excited to go because the zone conferences typically bring powerful learning experiences.

I love, love, LOVEEEEEEEEEEE you guys, HEAPS!!  I pray for you often :)

Keep it up, and don’t get ELIMINATED!!!

Love,
Your Elder Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment