Monday, August 5, 2013

Treasuring Your Tracks


Good Morning Mom,
 
      I hope this letter finds you healthy and happy.  I just read your letter about realizing the love of our Heavenly Father manifest, I might say, in the actions and support of those within our ward back home.  I have had a similar realization, though mine has been known for many months now, but was confirmed yesterday during our sacrament meeting as well.
      While back in Pinetown, I sought for a CHANGE of heart and perspective; to feel about and see everybody as God does.  I wanted this so that I might treat them as God would, and testify and teach with full feeling of heart to the challenges and circumstances, which everyone we meet is going through.  To this day it is still a work in progress, but I can testify that God not only gave me a new perspective or new feelings, but a NEW heart.  I always tell my companion, and myself “We are not here to judge, but to love.”  That counsel helps us when people bunk us, or don’t keep commitments, or turn from the truth we are helping them receive; when doors are slammed, vulgarities spat, and a couple times threatened.
       But that’s not the main point.  The main point is that I have seen the love of Heavenly Father working through us.  Yesterday at church we had 13 inactive individuals come back.  The number was large, but it wasn’t the number, which I was happy about; it was the individuals themselves.  We know of their challenges, their hardships, and struggles.  We have opened the scriptures with them and testified of the atonement, and they have felt of it; and now, they too are receiving new hearts.
      To balance our success with rescuing however, we are working so hard to find more people to teach.  I have worked hard my whole mission, but I haven’t worked as hard as we are in Margate, and I have never been happier my whole mission (there is a direct relation).
      There is nowhere I would rather be than on the Lord's errand.
 
Elder Gold 

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.” -3 Nephi 5 :13



Editor's Note:
      Below is the letter Landon made reference to.  I've included the entire correspondence to simplify this process on my part.

Hello My Son,
      I hope you are doing well this week and that you have touched the lives of many.  You really do have the best job in the world.  You work for free, and this work you freely do.  You don't know day to day whom you are contracted to do the work for, yet there is always work to be done even if you have to go on the errand in search of it.  Many people who become the recipients of your labor will never completely understand just how valuable your skill set really is.  Yet, when your work is done and you move on there is a change for good to the people and place from which you just came.
      So, Margate is blessed to have you working in its vineyards (or should I say amongst the sugar canes).  I am amazed and awestruck still at the visual of my son being a missionary in Africa.  Yes, you've been out for a year and a half but the specialness of it hasn't faded a bit in my mind.  You are in the perfect place at the perfect time.  :-)  Treasure your tracks my dear!
      Today was fast and testimony meeting (Editor’s descriptions: A monthly church meeting where members can stand and openly share their testimonies and life experiences with the congregation) and as the meeting went on I watched several people walk up and sit on the stand (A set of seats in the front of the chapel behind the pulpit) waiting for their turn to go to the pulpit.  At one point there were six members sitting there, most of whom I'd known of their personal hardships that they'd endured or currently are enduring.  From health issues, to emotional trials and physical limitations...oh so many challenges.  I was impressed by the thought that many of these individuals, at one time or another, had opened up with their problems and allowed others and myself to know of their particular hardships; not keeping those challenges completely hidden.  This really was so instrumental and very beneficial in aiding each person to get help from ward members, as well as receiving compassion for their circumstance.  Why is this important?  Well, the key to gaining help in overcoming life's challenges is to let others in that they may understand enough to give support and lift up.  As I sat there and pondered how wonderful the design of ward families really is I couldn't help but to feel a great sense of appreciation for my loving Heavenly Father who knew just how important connections are.  I love my ward family and I really do feel much gratitude for it along with a sense of responsibility in it.  Of course I am only one amongst so many, but I realize that my part here and now is to learn to love unconditionally and let the Savior direct my actions that I can be an instrument for good in the life of who is in need of something I can give...my unconditional support without judgment.
      I Love you my Dear and pray for your success,
Love,

           Mom. . . .XOXO . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment