Monday, August 12, 2013

Guiding and Directing Our Moves and Motives



Hey Dad,

      I'll write to you today but its to the family. Well first things, I never did get the package you sent several months back.  I’m hoping I didn't get it because you didn't send it, but if you did, then I hope some soul is feeling good walking around in his new 5 finger shoes with a pocket full of American half dollars.  :p
      So, I’m exhausted.  We have been working our butts off.  We have hit this week with as much faith and hard work as before, and the Lord is with us. Through the media stand, we have reached out to so many people in this community.  Last week we received eight DVD referrals.  As we have been contacting, meeting, and teaching these people we have found amazing individuals prepared to receive us.  It also is of note how many of the whites we are able to now teach.  There have been so many experiences this week where in we saw just how much the Lord is directing us.  For instance, after fasting last Sunday, I was impressed to focus this week on contacting people.  Come Monday, a day when we normally forget ourselves in the hustle and bustle of shopping and emailing and playing some sports, while shopping we were led to four amazing individuals who responded affirmative that, "Yes, we would like to learn more about your message.”  This just perpetuated the rest of the week.  I feel exhausted at the end of each day.  I feel so happy.  I feel the spirit with us, guiding and directing our moves and motives . . . The Kingdom of God, or nothing!
      I’m going to include a journal entry from Thursday, which happened to be quite an amazing day, but know that as you read it that these days it is more of a regular occurrence.
I love you guys, and you are in my prayers.

Elder Gold 


Journal Entry: 
Thursday, August 8th, 2013

            We had the most powerful day!  At noon we went to Pick N’ Pay and set up our Media Stand.  We talked to, and taught, hoards of people, which was surprising because there were really not many cars in the lot when we arrived.  We passed out so many pamphlets and DVD cards that eventually we ran out.  At least two people who had received them called while we were there.
            Afterward my greenie companion had a greenie idea to see if we could put up our stand at Hibiscus Mall.  I was in doubt of being able to do so, but we went and inquired anyway; and to my uttermost surprise, the manager of the mall excitedly gave us permission and even gave us the best spot in the mall with the most traffic.
            Afterwards we went tracting in ext. 4 and had two lessons with two very interesting people.  Let me speak of the second one.  Her name was . . . I’ll just call her Shea.  She was partly coloured, young and about eighteen years in age.  She lives in a big house and looks as if she has it nice.  Her dad owns a law firm, a pub, and a few other businesses.  She was about to take us on a trip.
            When we introduced ourselves as Missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, she introduced herself as a Satanist.   I almost laughed.  We probed to see what she meant by that.  She told us how her and her parents worship and pray to satan, and how ‘he’ has given them many things and helped them in life.  We asked all the obvious questions: how, what, why.  She said that the devil has promised her many things that she wants, like an heir to his kingdom.  I explained and testified to her that; “the devil will not support his children at the last day, but doth speedily drag them down to hell.”  - Alma 30:60
            She didn’t understand.  Then, interestingly, she asked if we were scared.  As if the devil can scare me.  I know in whom I have trusted, and I know of the power and authority of God.
            The exchange continued and my companion spoke to her and testified of the love of God and the divine heritage she has through Him.  She was trembling with fear by this point, and said in agony that she is being told to leave.  Of course the devil would cause fear in her and try to remove her from our presence.  If we can get to her, or rather she allows the spirit of the Lord to replace whatever entity is inside her, then Lucifer has lost another.  My companion tenderly spoke her into coming close to him in which moment he testified with heart and soul of God.  She eventually listened and words sunk in.  She promised she would pray to God.  We left.
            We then went to an appointment with a lady and her husband who had called for a DVD.  Edna and Richard (names have been changed) are an old retired couple.  We were invited into their home, so we sat down and spoke with them.  Richard was sitting on the bed.  He told us of the four heart attacks he has had.  He spoke of the despair in his heart after the doctor explained that there is nothing they can do for him.  My heart swelled with compassion for this man.  His wife was equally sorry, but they both believe in God and love Him.
            We stumbled around just talking, trying to know what to teach these two.  I said a prayer in my heart, and moments later the spirit put in my mind the lesson 3 pamphlet, so I began to read and teach them about repentance.  We testified with all surety and emotion that they can return to a Christ centered life.
            At the end of our lesson, Edna asked if we could pray for her husband.   That was a confirmation to me, because in the beginning I had an impression that I needed to give him a blessing.  I volunteered to give the blessing, and after having explained about a priesthood blessing, and anointing him, I laid my hands on his head and spoke as it were with the tongue of an angel.  The words which proceeded from my mouth were not my words, but the words of the Lord.  The Lord blessed him with physical and emotional strength to overcome his challenges.  He began to weep, and because he was weeping and because I was filled with the spirit, I began to weep as well.  The Lord continued to pour out a rich and beautiful blessing upon Richard.  Towards the end, seven words began to come out of my mouth.  I tried to hold them back, because of their consequences, but the spirit wouldn’t allow it to be.  I said, “I bless you to be made whole.”  And with that, the blessing was pronounced upon Richard in the name of Jesus Christ.
            He sat on his bed and continued to cry.  We spoke to him about the love of the Savior.  We made a return appointment and left, feeling that we did not teach a lesson, but more; that we had served our Fathers children in a way that the Savior served while he was on the earth.
            We went off to another appointment from a DVD referral.  This lady (who I will refer to as Jess) had read all three pamphlets she earlier had been given.  When we arrived at her home we were met by her along with her children, who happen to all be very committed Catholics.  We had a very nice lesson with them and were able to leave her with a Book of Mormon.  I really feel the Lord is blessing us so much as we have completely consecrated our will to His.

1 comment:

  1. This proves that there is a great work in need for these people of South Africa. Landon is such a remarkable servant of the Lord, I am so humbled to read his journals, thank you for sharing them with us!

    Sincerely,

    Sherrie Graen

    ReplyDelete