Monday, August 13, 2012

This is a Proving Ground



Yo, so here is the update this week family!

      It snowed on Tuesday!  It was very cold, though it was very cool to have snow in Africa.  My companion comes from the tropics of Ghana so he was suffering.   :p

      So, I have two stories for you today:  Well, we met a less active member at church a few weeks back who invited us to his home.  We went to get to know him and see how we could help him.  Many years ago he used to be the Second Counselor in the Branch Presidency.  He felt so much of his time was taken up by the church in meetings, interviews, activities, projects, etc., that he didn’t have any time for himself.  So, slowly he began taking more time for himself, less time for others, and slowly he fell back into the old group of friends, the old hangouts, the old booze and tobacco, and the old habits.  Years go by and he realizes there is no happiness.  Here comes the amazing part: He determines to overcome his addictions.  He leaves everything and comes back to church.  He fully relies on the Lord.  How does he fully rely on the Lord?  Well, by fasting EVERY 3RD DAY!!!  No-matter what.  Forty-eight-hours goes by and he fasts for 24 hours.  Another 48 hours, and another 24.  Incredible!  His faith was huge and is increasing ever more, and he is on his way home.  There are several things I learned from him.

      Second:  Two weeks ago we visited an old but strong member.  She wanted us to come by before she left to go to Bloemfontein to undergo an operation.  She has been tested and scanned and poked and prodded for months now.  She has a large, fast growing tumor on her ovaries or something that they believe to be cancerous.  Her surgery date had been put off for several months but finally she was going under the knife.  She asked for a blessing, which we administered as I acted as voice.  Fast forward to last Wednesday:  we heard she was back home but had no news about the surgery.  So we went to her home and sat down with her.  She has faith.  She told us how she went in for preparations for surgery.   They ran a few more tests and couldn’t find the tumor.  Then she underwent more tests, and . . . nothing.  Days of scanning, ultra sounds, x-rays and, . . . no tumor.  It’s GONE!

Moroni 7:27-29 states . . .”Wherefore, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased because Christ hath ascended into heaven, and hath sat down on the right hand of God, to claim of the Father his rights of mercy which he hath upon the children of men?
For he hath answered the ends of the law, and he claimeth all those who have faith in him; and they who have faith in him will cleave unto every good thing; wherefore he advocateth the cause of the children of men; and he dwelleth eternally in the heavens.  And because he hath done this, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men."
      Truly this was a tearful miracle before my eyes, one that has built my faith.

      I am learning how to get along with people on my mission through much trial. Each companion brings something new, and quite honestly, it gets painful.  But, I’m grateful for them.  I love them.  This is a proving ground, truly a LEARNING ground.

      I am enjoying my mission (the Lords mission).  I would not trade it for anything, not even coming home (though at times a feel to).  I am learning to talk with and put my trust in the Lord.  Just thought you should know :)

I love you Mom, I love you Dad, I love you Jordan.

Salahantle (stay well),

Elder Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment