Monday, May 28, 2012

Change is Good



Hiya Family!

      Last Monday we hiked Sentinel Peak.  It was a way sick experience.  The climb reminded me of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park because of the big chain ladders used to ascend the cliff face.  Oh, such a super cool experience!  Also, this past Saturday we hiked up Maluti Mountain, which happens to be the mountain really close to where we live.  We did it as a church group activity and had so much fun. It was a fairly long hike.  I’m not sure the total distance we hiked but I would guess it was approximately six miles.  One of the cool things about it was that we had 6 little kids who hiked the whole way by themselves.  Pretty amazing if you are to think about it,  especially because they are all younger than nine-years-old.  One of the kids, who is 5 years old, never had to be carried.  Just to show you how tough they were, many of the adults were complaining and had to take multiple rests.  :p  Anyhow, those kids come from my favorite family here in PJ, the Mofokeng family.  They are a large family and they are not members of the church, but I know at least half the family will be soon.  I have just fallen in love with them.



      Well, Elder Ncube is leaving.  He is getting transferred to the coast.  He will be going to Umlazzi and will be a Zone Leader!!  I must say that I’m gonna miss him a lot, but as I have said before, "Change is good."  Change brings with it what you want, and I want excitement and new experiences to enjoy and grow and learn from!  So, that is what it will be :)

      My new companion arrives tomorrow.  His name is Elder Dutson.  I have no idea who he is or anything about him.

      Jordan, I heard you are shaping an Aliah (wooden surf board).  That is awesome Boss!  Don’t rush it, just take it easy and make her look beautiful.  Send me pictures when you’re done!!

      Dadio, I’m so pleased to hear how well you are doing.  I’m trying to follow your example by eating better as well.  The one thing that’s challenging about being on a mission is, I hardly get opportunities to work out or be active.  I’m praying my next companion will be a runner, because Elder Ncube wasn’t.  Just a little secret . . . I looked in the mirror and saw a little pudge and was like, "this is not gonna happen to me!!"  So, I’m trying to figure out a good way to maintain my health.  I can promise that you will come back with me, even Mom and Jordan (if he isn’t on his mission), and climb to Sentinel Peak so you can see this beautiful land as well.

      Mommmmyy!!  I Love you I hope you know.  I miss you HEAPSSS!  I have looked back over my life, my upbringing and have really began to appreciate the mother you were and are to me.  I don’t think I could have realized these things without having been so far separated from you.  But, I brag about you and my whole family a lot.  I think people are actually sick of hearing about it.  :p

      So, just a side note (not one to bring any spirits down but one to ponder on); I’ve been here three months and I have worked pretty hard, yet no one has been baptized.  It’s interesting… Everyone I know on a mission has had baptisms in their first one or two transfers.  I ponder on the idea that some are sowers and some are harvesters.  It takes much faith and hope to tell yourself that you are sowing seeds among this people, seeds that will boom into powerful families and leaders of God’s kingdom.  I think about the Prophet Abinadi who died not even realizing what Alma the Older was going to become (see Book of Mormon reference).  Well, through him I would venture to say that millions, if not more, have received salvation because of his efforts.

Fight the Good Fight!!!

With all the love I can muster,

ELDER GOLD :)

No comments:

Post a Comment