Monday, March 5, 2012

Life in the MTC - Missionary Boot Camp

For almost three weeks Landon has lived at the Johannesburg Mission Training Center (MTC for short) doing what is best described as "Missionary Boot Camp."  In this time we have received a few letters that have given a bit of insight into life in the MTC.  Posted below are images and a few comments from those letters.


February 27th - A special Fireside was presented to the missionaries
                by President Carl B. Cook from the First Quorum of the Seventy
 and his wife, Lynette Cook (front row and center). 

President Reber, The MTC President, and his wife Janet (seated 
front row far left) care for the missionaries who enter this training center.
In an email sent a few weeks ago to the parents of these missionaries
Sister Reber stated, "We love them and applaud the hard work they are doing
 to learn missionary skills.  We eat together, play chess, volleyball and
 basketball together.  We sing together, pray together, talk and enjoy
 each other's company.  We are so thankful you are sharing your
 missionary with us."  
As a parent it was nice to hear that they are working
hard but also have time to play.

Landon has spoken about how kind President and Sister Reber are, and 
that they themselves are fairly new. They have only been there about a month.
Through their efforts many young men and women shall enter the mission field
more confident and surefooted, having strength in their stride.



He also had written that, "There are a handful of Africans here at the MTC, and they are really fun to be around.  I already love these people.  I can feel it.   Ahhhhhh mom, this is the greatest thing, the greatest most important work I ever could have imagined being involved in."


The missionaries each received a candy bar for having a clean room. I don't recognize
most of the kinds of candy. Landon's sweet tooth will definitely be satisfied.



"Dad, I have your mission pass-along card, and a picture of Grandpa Gold in my scriptures to remind me how I am to treat people; with unconditional  love, and treat them like who they are, sons and daughters of God."

"I have been learning a lot of very helpful things, tools, and principles here at the MTC.  The classroom environment is very unique.  We are divided into 3 groups, with about ten guys in each classroom.  The teachers are very personable and give us much insight.  I am feeling a great spirit of motivation and determination here."


While having lunch with the Elders Sister Reber mentioned that Landon showed her his
creative side by demonstrating how to make a great dip by mixing ranch dressing and
mustard together. I can only imagine the awesome concoctions he'll bring back from Africa.



"I am doing everything I can to be as obedient as I can, and one of the blessings that has come from it is I have not been home sick."

"I have come to realize that when I put on this name tag, I gave up my old life.  It's not about me; it's about the Savior.  My heart doesn't belong to myself anymore, it belongs to the people I serve."




No comments:

Post a Comment