Monday, October 21, 2013

Stepping Forward and Upward


     OK, so I guess I do have a lot of answering and informing to do.  I’m serving as one of two zone leaders (my companion and I) in the Bloemfontein zone.  It is the biggest zone in the mission.  It consists of a massive 20 elders covering the span of nearly the whole Free State.  There are elders in Kimberly, Welkom, Kroonstad, Virginia, Rocklands, Bloemanda, two sets in Botshabelo, Thaba Nchu, and us in the greater Bloemfontein area.  The responsibilities of zone leaders aren’t too bad.  There is a lot of administrative work, such as keeping track of statistical information for the zone, organizing and executing events as well as transfers and councils.  For example: this Friday Elder Bednar will be in Durban addressing the entire mission.  Sadly however, Bloem is one of three out of the nine zones not attending the conference because of distance.  So, we are in charge of getting the facility, setting up an internet work connection to Durban, broadcasting the conference, getting all the Elders here, arranging their transport, figuring out where they will stay over the weekend and where the elders coming from far will be working for the weekend before they go back Sunday afternoon after a second (this time Stake) conference.  On the ministering side of it, we referee... (Kind of humorous) to put it one way but, for the whole of my mission I have watched district and zone leaders have to go and resolve conflicts, fights and misunderstandings within companionship's for a variety of reasons, while trying to raise the zone to a higher standard of excellence.  But, despite the responsibilities and the vast area, we travel to meet with the other Elders as well as have a proselyting area that we keep healthy and strong.  We work the entire city of Bloemfontein with the exception of a group of townships in the south-south-east section of the city.  It is MASSIVE.  I tell you one thing that is a little hard for me is the grandness of our area.  Margate was fantastic for this one reason, its size.  We had a good hold on everything, and a lot of people as well. But here it is less personal and busier; although I will say, out of the major cities like Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town, it is very relaxed.
      The Lord is funny though.  He is realllllly going to stretch me here in this new area.  I came in at a time when there is NOTHING.  The previous Elder here was a fantastic, hard working, and inspired missionary.  But, for reasons beyond my understanding, the area is as if new.  SO, we are trying to rebuild, and locate, and find, and teach, and invite.  I do have a good companion, Elder Stengile from Amalinda, East London, Eastern Cape Province, South Africa.  We are getting along very well and that is a strength we need.  He is also diligent, so we work at a good pace.  I’m glad I was with Elder Brimhall (I wont even go into how much I miss him) because my fire burned brighter and brighter with him.  I won’t "Die" as we put it here on mission.  I have four months left of the best work I can offer the Lord. 
      So, the Ward is pretty good.  It has about one hundred active members.  I was asked to give a talk yesterday, my first Sunday.  As I was musing over it Sunday morning, I came across a scripture in Helaman 6: 3-5 about the converted Lamanites going back and preaching to their less active Nephite brothers in an attempt to re-activate them:
 3- Nevertheless, the people of the church did have great joy because of the conversion of the Lamanites, yea, because of the church of God, which had been established among them. And they did fellowship one with another, and did rejoice one with another, and did have great joy.
4- And it came to pass that many of the Lamanites did come down into the land of Zarahemla, and did declare unto the people of the Nephites the manner of their conversion, and did exhort them to faith and repentance
5- Yea, and many did preach with exceedingly great power and authority, unto the bringing down many of them into the depths of humility, to be the humble followers of God and the Lamb. 
      After reading this scripture I felt impressed to address the ward on reactivation of its less-active members.  It was perfect because the other speaker spoke on something similar, and our priesthood class was about a similar topic with regards to home teaching.  It is kind of cool how the Lord guides and directs. We are going to try really hard to go after the less-active members in Bloem.  As you know, that is where my heart is and has been for the greater part of my mission; ‘Finding the lost sheep.’  But it wont be the only focus. 
      So, one of the joys that the Lord has blessed me with this past week was to see six members from Thaba Nchu.  Bishop Mushe Sebusi, Eddy Flaws, Johnny Shupping, Zondo, "Baby", and Lesego.  Seeing these people again has been one of my greatest joys on my mission.  Bishop Sebusi is a REALLY, REALLY good ball room dancer.  He was giving a demonstration Friday night at our chapel.  I stood by the door of the hall until his eyes fell upon me.  Shock hit his face like a car crash.  He messed up his routine; he nearly dropped his partner and ran over.  He embraced me and we had a great talk.  With relationships like that I don’t feel any homesickness.  In fact, I really, really love this country and have imagined myself living here.  I think it could be done.
      So, I will tell you on a less spiritual note, that I’m almost the same weight as when I left.  Pretty fit I must say.  I work out every morning, and with Elder Brimhall and I running five to eight kilometers every morning I’m feeling pretty good.  I’m happy as a clown.
      AnyWHOOOO, my love is with you guys.  Don’t forget it.  Though I am lost in the work, I haven’t forgotten I have a family who I love and cherish.  Keep love abounding,

Elder Gold


No comments:

Post a Comment